Peadar Ó Doirnín Fhoirceala
THE STORY OF THE GAA IN FORKHILL : IMPORTANT LANDMARKS
1884– GAA itself founded in 1884.
1888 – Forkhill enter a team called “FORKHILL MEN IN THE GAP” to compete in a tournament held in Camlough.
1904- “ FORKHILL GERALDINES”- the name by which Forkhill was affiliated at Armagh Convention to enter the County Championship. The fact that Forkhill was one of only 4 teams entered that year is surely a reflection of the great gaelic tradition and culture in the area at such an early stage in the GAA`S history.
1914- “FORKHILL ROVERS” formed when a gaelic side re-emerged in the village.
1923- The “ FORKHILL DREADNOTS” emerge, following the recovery of the GAA after the unsettling effects of The War of Independence and the Civil War.
1927 – Forkhill reach their first county final, only to finish runners up to Keady- venue Camlough.
1928- Undaunted, Forkhill reach the County final AGAIN! – only to be defeated on this occasion by Armagh Young Irelanders after a replay again in Camlough.
1938- “ FORKHILL STARS” formed. A talented team which went on to win the Collins Cup (twice) and later the South Armagh Championship.
By 1942, most of the Forkhill players were playing with CUCHULAINNS – an amalgamation of Forkhill and Mullaghbawn.
1942- Subsequently, Cuchulainns went on to win the Junior Championship, defeating St Malachy`s by 2-6 to 1-5.
1948- Gaelic football returned to the village. “ FORKHILL STARS” were formed and continued to play up to 1974.
1954– Forkhill Stars win South Armagh Junior League.
1962– Forkhill school win South Armagh Schools` League.
1963– Forkhill reach Junior Championship Final – beaten by Derrynoose 3-5 to 1-6.
1963- The Minors Oliver Plunketts ( an amalgamation of Forkhill, Mullaghabawn, Dromintee and Killeavy) win South Armagh Minor Championship.
1965- Forkhill beaten in final of Junior Championship by Portadown by 1-10 to 1-5.
1973– Oliver Plunketts(Forkhill & Mullaghbawn) win Minor Championship defeating Portadown by 4-8 to 1-14.
1974- Forkhill amalgamate with Mullaghbawn at Senior level to form OLIVER PLUNKETTS.
1979– Forkhill re-formed and named PEADAR O` DOIRNIN in honour of the local poet and historian Peadar o` Doirnin. Club enters Division 3B of Armagh All County League.
1979– Forkhill win Division 3b, amassing 26 points out of a possible 28- the only unbeaten team in Armagh League football that year!
1979– Forkhill win Division 3B “Club of the Year.”
1981– Forkhill win Junior Championship defeating Tullysarron 0-7 to 0-2.
1981– Newry & Mourne Council purchase land to build playing fields. In addition, Tom Toner donated a plot of ground to the club to facilitate future developments.
1982– Forkhill relegated to Division 4
1984– Forkhill finish 3rd in Division 4.
1985– Forkhill gain promotion to Division 3 with a last match win over Collegeland 1-6 to 0-4.
1987– Forkhill gain promotion to Division 2.
1988- Forkhill relegated to Division 3.
1987– Official opening of Forkhill playing field, “Pairc Ui Dhoirnin” by His Eminence Cardinal Tomas O Fiach.
1996- Resumption of under age football in the Club.
2000- Oliver Plunkett`s Primary School Forkhill win All County School`s League.
2002- Commencement of Ladies football in the Club.
2004- Turning of the sod to mark the commencement of building of clubrooms.
2008- Opening of clubrooms.
2008- Forkhill Seniors emerge winners of Division 4.
2009- Newly promoted Forkhill Seniors compete in Division 3.
2010- Currahill Blues (amalgamation of Forkhill, Correnshigo and Cullaville) win Armagh County Championship.
2012- O` Doirnin Blues win Minor All County Championship.
2013- Forkhill Seniors win Junior Division A League- promoted to Division 2 for 2014 season.
2013 – Forkhill Seniors reach semi final of Junior Championship- defeated by Annaghmore.
2013- Minors- O`Doirnin Blues (amalgamation of Forkhill and Cullaville) win Division 3A of the Armagh League.
2013- Minor Ladies win the B Division Minor League Shield.