Naomh Mochua, Doire Núis
Football in Derrynoose was founded in the early 1900,s and a championship was won by 1928 beating Poyntzpass in the Final. Parish leagues saw Derrynoose continuing to grow
History shows that football and hurling were both played in the early 1900’s in Derrynoose. Hurling fell away but football continued and Derrynoose went on to win a county title in 1928 beating Poyntzpass in the final. In those early days the colours were amber and black but 1957 saw a change to the blue and white of today.
After beating Crossmaglen in the Junior Final in 1963 football died away due to emigration and players hanging up their boots but 1969 saw a revival and Derrynoose played Grange in their first match, a team also making their debut.
Camogie was founded in 1968 and continued for the next 10 years. After winning Division 2 in 1976 they found they were unable to field at senior level in 1977. One of camogies major successes was winning All Ireland quiz CCD medals.
Through the 1980’s more success came to the club when the boys won the intermediate championship in 83 and the camogie team was reformed and the girls reached championship finals.
1990 saw the formation of the ladies football team when the club amalgamated for a short while with St Michaels Newtownhamilton before gathering enough numbers to field on their own.
The following year hurling formed in Derrynoose and went on to win the shield in 1995 and Division 2.
Today we boast fielding 23 teams from underage to senior in all codes and are one of the small number of clubs that promote all four sports in our club. In 2008 we took the forward step of integrating our sports into one code and this saw the amalgamation of colours into one jersey all playing under the umbrella of ‘Derrynoose GAC’.
Again forward thinking within the club was to the fore in 2012 when we applied for funding for our 3G pitch. Strong club ethos and hard work has brought us to where we are today and we hope this will continue to strive in the future.