Armagh lose out in Semi-Final

January 24th, 2015 | Football

Armagh lose out in Semi-Final

Kieran McGeeney’s Armagh fall short in their bid to reach this year’s Dr. McKenna Cup Final.

Tyrone grabbed 3 first half goals which ultimately was the difference and left the task too much for the Orchard county going into the second half.

Tyrone opened the scoring thanks to their captain Sean Cavanagh who took his point well.

The game was dominated by mistakes for by both sides and high pressing by Tyrone culminated in an early goal for Clonoe’s PJ Lavery after Conor McAliskey intercepted a short kick out from Phillip McEvoy.

Armagh soon got off the mark thanks to a bombing run from deep in his own half by Stefan Campbell who then laid the ball off to Michael McKenna who took tapped over the bar.

Cavanagh replied once more for Tyrone taking his second point from a free before shouts for a penalty from the home crowd after Jamie Clarke appeared to be taken down when sent through on goal. Nothing came of it in the end.

A debut point from Tyrone’s Conal McCann added to their tally before another goal, this time a good team move from the Red Hands as Cavanagh gave the ball to Lavery who in turn set up Shay McGuigan and his scuffed effort trickled past a helpless McEvoy.

Armagh then made a change to personnel with Sean Connell coming on for Oisín Mac Íomhair before both sides traded scores as Cavanagh took another free and Tony Kernan converted for Armagh after good work from midfield pair Aaron Findon & Campbell.

Tyrone got their third goal of the half when McGuigan set up McAliskey who was denied by a good smothering save from McEvoy. However the ball fell kindly to that man Cavanagh again who took full advantage of McEvoy being out of position.

Armagh got two more points from play before the end of the half. Great play and finish from Jamie Clarke and another effort from Stefan Campbell. Tyrone finished the half with a fisted point from Peter Hughes.


Half Time Armagh 1-04 Tyrone 3-05


Ciaran O’Hanlon came on at the beginning of the second half for Niall McConville.

Tyrone began the second half the same way they finished the first with a well taken point from McAliskey after being set up by Shay McGuigan before McAliskey added a second straight after his goal bound effort was tipped over the bar by McEvoy.

Both Armagh and Tyrone hit several wides before another substitution with Aidan Forker replacing his brother Stefan while McKenna added another point for the Orangemen.

Armagh’s Tony Kernan was replaced by Stephen Harold and Tyrone duo Peter Hughes and Ryan McKenna made way for Joe McMahon & Ronan McNabb.

PJ Lavery received a yellow card before another Red Hand forward, Conor McAliskey, produced the score of the game with a booming left footed effort from an acute angle before being substituted for Darren McCurry.

There was another call for an Armagh penalty was waved away by referee Ciaran Branagan before Ciaran O’Hanlon got himself off the mark before PJ Lavery added another point for Tyrone with a long range effort.

Another Tyrone double substitution saw Tiernan McCann and Padriag McNulty come on for Dwayne Quinn and Colm Cavanagh before Armagh were forced to make a change following a black card for Micheal Murray. Charlie Vernon the player coming on.

Tyrone Sub Darren McCurry pointed from a free before Aidan Forker converted a free for Armagh before Tyrone made their final substitution with Justin McMahon replacing Rory Brennan.

Armagh and Tyrone traded further wides either side of a point from Armagh sub Sean Connell.

The final action of the game were a yellow apiece for Armagh’s Charlie Vernon and Tyrone centre half back Mattie Donnelly.

Armagh fail to progress to the final as Tyrone reach their 6th in a row. All attention turns to the upcoming Allianz National League campaign and the opening fixture at home to Tipperary in the Athletic Grounds on Sunday February 1st.

Full Time Armagh 1-08 Tyrone 3-10



Simply Fruit
Mac Interiors