Clinical Keady ease to Junior Final win

October 21st, 2014 | Club Football

Clinical Keady ease to Junior Final win

Full Time T-Met Junior Championship Final

Keady 2:10
Collegeland 0:06

Keady Micheal Dwyer’s took control of the T-Met Junior Championship final to claim their first football championship since their 1995 Intermediate Final win over Cullaville.

Keady’s margin of victory was wholly representative of the way the game went. Collegeland didn’t manage to get a good foothold in the game and were very much second best on the day.

Early nerves appeared to get the better of both sides as tentative passing and wayward shooting was the order of the day.

Several wides and a bouncing ball hitting the post from a Collegeland attack were the highlights of the first few minutes but the game got going with Keady’s Nathan Green getting the scoring underway with a well taken point which sailed high over the bar.

Keady took advantage once again when the O’Rahilly defence fell asleep during their own kick out. The ball was turned over and Keady Full Forward Conor Hughes tapped over.

Collegeland needed a response and despite playing with 3 on his back Club Captain Stephen Clancy in a much advanced role played a smart one-two with Brian McGeary before taking his score.

A well placed ball into the Keady forward line allowed Dean Nugent to gather possession and finish cutely.

A Tom Murphy free pulled the teams closer again before Keady went on a scoring run.

Points from Ryan McGale & Connor Corvan before Collegland ill-discipline saw Brian Mitchell get the line for a challenge which referee Kevin Murtagh deemed to be a black card offence. He was then replaced by Sean McNicholl.

Another point for Keady followed soon after. This time an effort from James King making the most of more Keady possession in the Collegeland defence.

Keady’s first goal was created by midfielder Nathan Green who played the ball into Stephen Renaghan before taking it back to play the ball to McGale who dispatched the ball past Collegeland netminder Mickey Graham.

A direct run from Raymond Mullen ended in the Keady corner forward fisting over, the last action of the half which saw Keady lead 1:07 to 0:02.

The second half started with a point from a free for Tom Murphy before a Keady attack ended in another goal. Conor Hughes made bee-line for the Collegeland goal but seemed to have lost possession before opting to leather the ball, while it was bouncing, into the far corner.

Two further points for Keady soon followed. A free from McGale and long range effort from Nathan Green.

Tom Murphy pulled another back for Collegeland with a free before a great run along the endline by Mickey Cullen was illegally ended and Murphy tapped over again.

Both sides traded points from subs, a point from a free for substitute Matthew Murphy and a lovely score from Keady replacement Ryan McCabe.

Kevin Murtagh blew the final whistle to close out the T-Met Junior Championship and crown Keady deserved champions. They were by far the better side on the day and in the end they justified their favourites tag by the bookies from the start of the championship.

Standout performances on the day were from Keady Half Backs Stephen Renaghan & James King as well as Corner Back Shane Mone.

Following the game County board Vice-Chairman, Michael Geoghegan presented the Sean Quinn Cup to Club Captain Joby Burke & Paul Murray, who captained the Keady side on the day.

Keady now face Monaghan Junior champions Drumhowan in the Ulster Football Junior Championship.

PHOTOS BY John Merry



Simply Fruit
Mac Interiors