Intermediate Championship Round Up

August 21st, 2016 | Club Football, Football

Intermediate Championship Round Up

In the Intermediate championship, last year’s beaten finalists Whitecross opened their account with a win against St Peters in Tullysaran.

Scores were at a premium in the first half. Michael McGrory and Anthony McCann got Whitecross up and running and a converted free by St Peters’ Daire Toman made it 0-2 to 0-1. Whitecross were guilty of a number of wides but in the final five minutes of the half, they hit three scores through Kieran McNulty, Cathal McSherry and Neil McSherry. Half time Whitecross 0-5 St Peters 0-1

St Peters went on the attack from the off in the second half but Tomás Canning in the Whotecross goal was in super form, pulling off two quick reflex saves. Michael Gogarty got St Peters’ second score, but Whitecross lifted it again to hit three of their own, Cathal McSherry with the first, Conor Malone with the second after great work by Declan Lennon to win back the ball, and the third by Neil McSherry. A couple of frees were converted by Niall McConville, but Tomás Canning was again on hand to prevent St Peters’ Fearghal Moore from hitting the net. Three further scores for Whitecross had them 0-11 to 0-4 ahead and with time almost up, St Peters needed goals. Daniel McNally fired over the bar and a goal for Gavin McCormick left just three between them. St Peters won a free but far from keeping calm heads, an incident in the square led to an instant dismissal for Niall McConville. St Peters did manage a point but it was too little as Whitecross ran out two point winners 0-11 to 1-6.


Both Mullaghbawn and Shane O’Neills will have come into this Donnelly Group Intermediate Championship opener with confidence to come away as victors in what was a very entertaining game. A tight contest unfolded with each team edging ahead at different points throughout the game. Mullaghbawn first managing to push ahead in the 14th minute going 4 points to 2 up only for Shane’s to pull back to level it up at half time on a scoreline of Mullaghbawn 0-06 v Shane o’Neills 0-06.

That momentum by Shane’s towards the end of the 1st half pushed them on in the 2nd as they raced ahead 10 points to 7 lead after 43 minutes and looked to have edged ahead at the right time to win the game. Mullaghbawn thought differently and raised their game to bring it to within a point when with 7 minutes remaining Mullaghbawn were awarded a penalty which was well finished to the corner of the net. The pendulum now swinging the way of Mullaghbawn who exchanged points with Shane’s to see out the game on a scoreline of Mullaghbawn 1-11 v Shane o’Neills 0-11.


In the other Intermediate game played in Keady was many people’s favourites for the Donnelly Group Intermediate Championship Culloville, who were taking on St Paul’s. It was the Taghnevan men who came away as winners on a scoreline of St Paul’s 1-07 Culloville Blues 0-07 with the goal proving the crucial score of the game. St Paul’s will now have their sights on winning the title for the 2nd time in 2 years.



Simply Fruit
Mac Interiors