Galway 2-14 Armagh 1-13

April 4th, 2014 | Senior Football

Galway 2-14 Armagh 1-13

Galway 2-14 Armagh 1-13

Two early goals for Galway paved the way for a four-point 2-14 to 1-13 Allianz Football League Division 2 victory over Armagh in Tuam Stadium.
Eddie Hoare and Michael Martin grabbed those goals within four minutes to set Galway on their way for a crucial victory.
Galway led 2-8 to 0-9 at half-time with Sean Armstrong scoring four points from placed balls, but it was Armagh who dominated the initial stages of the second half.
They were rewarded with a goal from Tony Kernan after 50 minutes but Galway finished strongly with four unanswered points late on to seal a much-needed victory.
Galway captain Paul Conroy opened the scoring straight from the throw-in with a well-taken point. Tony Kernan equalised for Armagh a minute later, and then Galway’s two goals came, in quick succession.
Armagh responded with three unanswered points but an Armstrong free kept Galway in control.
Before half-time, Galway had two great goal chances. The first fell to Paul Varley, but the wing-back’s shot was well saved by Armagh goalkeeper Philip McEvoy. Armstrong had the second chance and, after a scramble in the goalmouth, his shot was blocked.
Galway custodian Thomas Healy was called into action just after half-time.
The Corofin man saved well from Rory Grugan who was impressing for Armagh at wing-back. Armagh suffered a blow when Gary McCooey was shown a black card after 47 minutes. The substitute had already been shown a yellow card which meant Armagh couldn’t replace him as a yellow card and a black card corresponds to a red card.
Despite being down to 14 men, Armagh dominated possession and were rewarded when Tony Kernan rifled a goal past Healy to make it 2-9 to 1-10 with 20 minutes remaining.
Aaron Kernan and Kevin Dyas notched scores for Armagh, who were level with six minutes remaining after substitute Finian Moriarty split the posts from close-range.
Unfortunately for Armagh, they failed to register a further score and it was Galway who took control with late points from James Kavanagh, Paul Conroy, Michael Farragher and Thomas Flynn proving the difference.

Galway: T Healy; K Kelly, F Hanley, D O’Neill; G Bradshaw, G O’Donnell, P Varley; F Ó Curraoin, T Flynn (0-01); M Lundy, E Hoare (1-01), J Kavanagh (0-02); M Martin (1-01), P Conroy (0-03), S Armstrong (0-05, 0-04 frees, 0-01 ’45).

Substitutes: C Mulryan for Hanley (57 mins), M Farragher (0-01) for Lundy (60 mins), D Cummins for Martin (64 mins), D O’Connell for Kavanagh (69 mins).

Armagh: P McEvoy; A Mallon, A Findon, M Murray; M Shields, K Toner, R Grugan (0-02); S Harold, P O’Neill; C Rafferty, K Dyas (0-03), E McVerry (0-02); J Clarke (0-01, free), T Kernan (1-03, 0-02 frees), K Carragher.

Substitutes: G McCooey for O’Neill (9 mins), F Moriarty (0-01) for Shields (26 mins), O MacÍomhair for Murray (30 mins), A Kernan (0-01) for Grugan (41 mins), B Mallon for MacÍomhair (60 mins).

Referee: D Fahy (Longford)



Simply Fruit
Mac Interiors