Seniors exit Ulster championship

May 30th, 2016 | Football, Senior Football

Seniors exit Ulster championship

Armagh senior footballers exited the Ulster championship at the first hurdle on Sunday, following a below-par performance against Cavan. While Armagh got off to a decent start, leading 0-3 to 0-1 after ten minutes, following scores from Stefan Campbell and two from Ethan Rafferty, the Orchard never really got a grip on the game. Two standout players for the home side, Seanie Johnston and Gearóid McKiernan fired Cavan ahead by double scores 0-6 to 0-3 and when Dara McVeety finished to the net, it looked ominous for the large travelling support. A couple of scores from Ethan Rafferty from dead balls kept the Armagh side of the scoreboard ticking over, but Cavan continued to exert serious pressure on the Orchard rearguard to go ahead 1-9 to 0-5 with half time approaching. A long range effort from Tony Kernan and a 45 from Soupy Campbell give Armagh a glimmer of hope going in to the break.
Half time Ard Mhacha 0-7 An Cabhán 1-9

An opening second half score from Kernan was soon nullified by a Seanie Johnston free, as Stefan Campbell and David Givney also traded scores before a converted penalty from Martin Reilly had the boisterous home support on their feet. Stefan Campbell worked hard to drag Armagh back into the contest with three successive scores , but a point from substitute Jack Brady kept six points between the sides. Following a clumsy tackle in the square, Armagh were awarded a lifeline but the penalty effort from Stefan Campbell was poor and rather than the three point gap, it was soon seven and then eight as Seanie Johnston and Jack Brady crushed any thoughts of a fightback. As the game petered out, Conor Moynagh got in on the act too with a lovely score in a game that Armagh will want to forget. Armagh must now regroup and refocus for the Qualifiers, while Cavan will go ahead to face Tyrone in the Ulster semi-final.
Full time Ard Mhacha 0-14 An Cabhán 2-16



Simply Fruit
Mac Interiors