Ronan Clarke “overwhelmed” by support

August 23rd, 2015 | Football

Ronan Clarke “overwhelmed” by support

For many years Ronan Clarke has graced the fields throughout Ireland displaying all what is good about Gaelic Football.  Our 2 time all-star and former young player of the year was feared by many defenders and blessed with natural skill.  When news broke on the evening of 14th August of the All-Ireland winners head injury and seriousness of the injury, the GAA world rallied together to pray for the Pearse Og legend.

With well wishers coming from the length and breath of Ireland and beyond, Ronan has been overwhelmed.  Now at home recovering Ronan has taken the time to thank everyone “”I would like to thank the many people who sent cards, mass bouquets and offered prayers for my recovery,” he said this afternoon. “I also wish to thank Fr. McAnenley, Fr. Coyle and Fr. Lennon SJ for their visits and blessings and to all those who brought religious relics.
“I am completely overwhelmed and heartened by the volume of good wishes on social media from all sections of the community and the concern and sensitivity shown by the press and television. I have nothing but the highest praise for the excellent treatment I received in Craigavon Area Hospital from the consultants, doctors, nurses and ancillary staff.
“I will always be in their debt. I am now delighted to be at home to begin my convalescence.”
Clarke’s father Adrian described earlier the moment where his son was injured and the thorough treatment he received.
“The ball was coming into the square and he was watching the ball and went into the post,” he said.
“When I was bringing him to hospital he was lapsing in and out of consciousness and I was talking to him to keep him awake.
“When we got to the hospital they took over completely and carried out their task professionally, did what they had to do and, thankfully, it has proven the correct course of action, no doubt about it.”
Ronan was treated on the pitch and wanted to continue to play the remaining five minutes of the match.
“He had no intention of leaving the field. It was only about five minutes left in the game, but he wanted to continue and he said he was all right,” said Mr Clarke.
“Even afterwards in the course of conversation with the paramedics after the game, he said he was all right.”

The entire Armagh GAA community and wider GAA community wish Ronan all the best as he continues to recover.



Simply Fruit
Mac Interiors