Armagh hurlers defeated in Division 3 final

March 8th, 2020 | Hurling News

Armagh hurlers defeated in Division 3 final

Armagh hurlers fell to defeat in the Division 3 final for the second successive year when Donegal pipped them in a pulsating game in Carrickmore.

Full time: Ard Mhacha 0-19 Dún na nGall 1-18

Donegal hit an early lead after a mistake in the Armagh rearguard, to hit a goal which helped keep Donegal ahead for the entire game. The goal followed a chance at the other end when a Dean Gaffney effort was well saved by Donegal keeper Luke White.

Donegal extended their lead with two quick scores before Dean Gaffney opened the Armagh account on 6 minutes. Gaffney added another and a Nathan Curry score, but both were cancelled out with Donegal maintaining a 4 point lead. A converted 65 from Curry was followed up by a great score from Oisín Keenan, but Donegal produced four scores in four minutes to push them further ahead. A long range free from Curry and a free from Dean Gaffney reduces the margin, but Gerry Gilmore and Decky Coulter from the dead ball again cancelled out the Armagh efforts, as Donegal went in at half time 6 points ahead.

Half time Ard Mhacha 0-7 Dún na nGall 1-10

Armagh had the advantage of the wind for the second half, but it was former Cúchulainn’s man Declan Coulter who opened the scoring.

Armagh though were looking more comfortable and with Danny Magee proving a handful for the Donegal defence, Dean Gaffney was on hand to strike over two frees before Aaron Fox hit a great score from play from the near sideline. While Coulter fires over a free, the next four scores came from Armagh who were carrying all of the momentum at this stage, reducing the margin to one. However, Jack O’Loughlin hit a super score with 15 to go and this was followed up by a Coulter free.

Donegal were fortunate to maintain their 15 man complement after a strike to the face was ignored by the linesperson and referee, but Gaffney and Curry pulled two scores back. Donegal were non-perturbed as again they hit a couple of scores to maintain the margin; a Coulter free and a Danny Cullen effort from play. A Coulter free put Donegal 3 ahead with five minutes of injury time announced.

Dean Gaffney added two in injury time, a free and 65, but Donegal won their final puck out and Sam Doherty finished to leave two in it. With the game on the blow, Armagh were given a final chance to win the game with Simon Doherty coming up the field to strike a free from 25 metres out, but it wasn’t to be as a packed defence stopped the ball and referee Aidan Ferguson, blew the whistle to signal a Donegal victory as they head back into Division 2B.

Full time: Ard Mhacha 0-19 Dún na nGall 1-18

Armagh: Fintan Woods, Ciarán Clifford, Artie McGuinness, Connor Devlin, Oisín Keenan 0-1, Aaron Fox 0-1, Kieran McKernan, Paddy McBride, Tiarnán Nevin, Dean Gaffney 0-10 (0-7f, 0-1 65), Odhrán Curry, Ryan Gaffney, Eoin McGuinness, Nathan Curry 0-6 (0-1f, 0-1 65), Danny Magee 0-1

Subs used: Simon Doherty, Shaun Toal, Mark McClatchey




Simply Fruit
Mac Interiors