Seán Treacys are Junior Champions

August 20th, 2016 | club hurling, Hurling News

Seán Treacys are Junior Champions

Lurgan side Seán Treaceys claimed their second consecutive Armagh junior title on Saturday evening following a 1-15 to 1-11 win over Killeavy. Seán Treacey’s Daniel Magee was again in impressive form as he finished with a huge personal tally of 1-12.

Darren O’Hanlon and Conor Hannaway got early scores to level Magee’s efforts and midway through the half, a fired up Killeavy side took the lead with David Grant finishing a good run with a rocket to the net. Magee hit another couple from frees after a scrappy eight minutes with no scores but a Glenn McKeown effort prevented the Lurgan side from drawing level. An injury to Christopher McAlinden led to a long break but Danny Magee settled himself to fire over another free just before half time.
Half time Seán Ó Treasaigh 0-6 Cill Shléibhe 1-4

The second half got underway with a super save from Killeavy’s Éamonn Mac an tSaoir from Lurgan’s Declan Maher who was on the end of a great ball from Magee. Seán Treacey’s had a real period of doninance in the first 15 minutes of the half with three points from play from the reliable Magee and one from Patrick Lyness. Killeavy’s Eddie Fearon pulled off a good block against a Christopher McCann effort on goal, but noone could stop the bullet Magee fired to the top right hand corner to put Seán Treacey’s 1-10 to 1-4 ahead. Killeavy did respond with four points against Magee’s two, three coming from the stick of captain Conor Hannaway and one from second half sub Paddy Mone. Michael Doran got in on the scoring for Seán Treaceys after 23 minutes to push them five points ahead, but Killeavy and more specifically Conor Hannaway, cut the deficit to just two with two minutes to go. Having produced much of the better hurling, particularly in the second half, Seán Treacey’s were in no mood for Killeavy to spoil their party and Patrick Scullion became the fourth Lurgan man on the score sheet before Daniel Magee wrapped up the win with a free to ensure that Anthony Carville would lift the trophy for the second year running.
Full time Seán Ó Treasaigh 1-15 Cill Shléibhe 1-11



Simply Fruit
Mac Interiors